Re: Where is DBA position in your organization?

From: <Hannah.M.Doran_at_sb.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 10:18:09 -0500

Ben,

     We actually have 2 DBA groups. One for production and one for development (I'm in development). The reason is that the tasks that each group deals with VARY greatly. The production group is more like server/system admin. They are not close to the app, but babysit the server, do backups/restores etc.

     However, my group works VERY closely with the ACTUAL data and the application itself. I dont do backups/restore or things like that (except for rebuilding my local envirnoments - usually just copying db files). I test patches and do data verification and fixes when necessary.

     The big difference between the groups is like this: If there was an Oracle bug, the prod group applies the patch to production (I would do it to development. HOWEVER, if there is a probelm with the application (a vendor patch), I would apply to BOTH prod and dev. Furthermore, if there is corrupted data, I am the one to find it and FIX it in both PROD and DEVL.

     Although there are times when our roles overlap, in general, it pretty cut and dry. The PROD group deals with keeping the server running 24/7 and making sure all supporting applications are running/ doing backups, etc. The DEVL group does anything that is APPLICATION specific.

     We are a very LARGE organization. So all of our production boxes are in an offsite location , all are administered by the PROD DBA group (they also have server admin people on staff). All application and test/devl boxes are local and are being handled by the specific application's support team (in this case me:>)

Hannah

April Sims <simsa_at_acu.edu> on 11/27/2000 09:56:12 AM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc:
Subject: Re: Where is DBA position in your organization?

Ben,

I came from a server/system admin position to my present DBA. Originally I thought that it should stay in server/system admin but now it has become apparent to me that we work more closely with the Application/programming group. Mainly because the things that you will need from your system admin are easy to implement (partition size, tape rotations, cron, etc.) pretty routine.
The application group need me to keep a close eye on what they do!!!! because the code will make or break performance for ORACLE.

>Hi,
>
>Our ITS department is re-structuring and there
>is some disagreement over where the DBA role
>fits into the new structure. Some feel the DBA
>is more closely aligned with the application
>development team while others want to see it
>placed in the server/system administration team.
>Where does the DBA position fit in your organization's
>structure?
>
>Ben
>--
>--
>Author: Ben Poels
> INET: poelsb_at_post.queensu.ca

April Sims MCSE, CNE Abilene Christian University Database Administrator ACU Box 29005
Information Technology Abilene, TX 79699 simsa_at_acu.edu Vx:(915)674-2681 Fx:674-6724

Author: April Sims
  INET: simsa_at_acu.edu