Setting up a failover site

From: Leng Kaing <lkaing_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 11:24:49 -0800 (PST)

Hello everyone,

Env: 8.1.7 on Compaq (I think)

In terms of setting up a failover site, what are you guys using? Hot Standby? Advanced Replication? Hardware? We've setting up a large site with multiple nodes so SharePlex is too expensive to consider.

Compaq tells us that with 5.1 they're able to do hardware failovers. So we're considering Hot Standby or the compaq option. Any experiences with these that you can relate? Horror/Success?

After reading the Hot Standby manuals, there are a few issues that I'm not so happy about - too many conditions that will require the recreation of the standby database, sacrificing the NOLOGGING options, no hot backups on the standby, and recreating the primary site after failover. Are you guys happy to live with these?

With the above restrictions, I'm hoping that Compaq's option will be the go but have yet to test it out.

Any input welcome.

TIA, Leng.

Leng Kaing
Email: lkaing_at_yahoo.com
AUSOUG-Vic: http://www.ausoug.org/vic/
Web: http://dingo.vu.edu.au/~leng/

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Shopping - Thousands of Stores. Millions of Products. Received on Mon Nov 27 2000 - 13:24:49 CST