Re:How many 'proxy snap admin' users are required at master

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 17:09:07 -0500

Muru,

    Hummmmm, sounds like you've got it backwards. A snapshot does not use a SNMP process, but a DBMS Job slave known as ora_snpx_<SID>. These Snapshot jobs reside on the snapshot target, not on the master as the snapshot process is a data pull vs. push. Now. how many of these do you need depends more on the number of refresh groups that have to be refreshed at the same time as one job process can only handle one refresh group at a time. Therefore if you have 10 refresh groups being refreshed at the same time, you'll need 10 job processes. BTW: each refresh group may have more than one snapshot therein, but when you execute the 'create snapshot' command each snapshot will be in it's own group. OH, don't forget to create snapshot logs on the master site before creating the snapshots. The init.ora parameters are JOB_QUEUE_INTERVAL and JOB_QUEUE_PROCESSES on the target DB.

Dick Goulet

Subject: How many 'proxy snap admin' users are required at master rep Author: Murugesan Balakrishnan <mail_oracle_at_yahoo.com> Date: 11/27/2000 1:05 PM

Hello Lists,

I need to setup a replication environment where 28 slave databases having read-only snapshots replicates from a single master database. The read-only shapshots should refresh automatically everyday night.

My question is: Howmany minimum number of 'proxy snapshot admin' users are required at master site so that the replication process is efficiently managed. By default, there are 28 user accounts required, one for each slave. I would like to know, if there is a way, to reduce this number. Or, I will be ok with these many users. FYI, over a period of time the number of slaves will go up to 80 in which case 80 accounts are required. Am I going in the right direction?

It is not a multi-master replication environment. No updation happens to master from slave. The snapshots are read-only. It is a simple replication environment.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Muru

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Shopping - Thousands of Stores. Millions of Products. http://shopping.yahoo.com/

Author: Murugesan Balakrishnan
  INET: mail_oracle_at_yahoo.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Mon Nov 27 2000 - 16:09:07 CST