Re: What should I notice when I drop an index and recreate it.

From: Rajagopal Venkataramany <rajagopalvr_at_excite.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 20:25:28 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

  The approach that I follow before doing any DDL changes is :

  1. Run this SQL before u make the DDL change

    select object_type, object_owner
    from dba_objects
    where owner = <db_owner>
    and status = 'INVALID';

 2. Make the ddl change

 3. Run the query in step 1 to find out objects invalidated because

    of step 2 and re-compile.

   The sql step 1 can be modified to generate the "alter" statement.

  Hope this helps...

Regards
Rajagopal Venkataramany

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000 19:05:24 -0800, ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Recently, I drop an index and recreate that index in different type.
Some of the packages became INVALID.
> As I know, in Oracle, you can drop and alter an index at any time. Oracle
recommends that you should notice the performance. I have no idea why this recreating index cause the package being INVALID. One thing I am not sure is that maybe some packages are particularly specified to use that dropped index, thus cause the package invalidated.

> What should I watch out when I recreating Indexes?
>
> Many Thanks for any help
>
> Chuan

Regards
Rajagopal Venkataramany