Re: Slightly Off Topic : Book recommendation ... (Oracle DBA 101)

From: Charlie Mengler <charliem_at_mwh.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 07:54:44 -0800

Jonathan Gennick wrote:
[...snip...]

> I've found that with respect to books you need to be willing
> to take some risks. Early in my career I was so afraid of
> wasting money on a book, that I didn't buy any at all. I
> shudder to think of all that I didn't learn during those
> early years. Eventually, I forced myself to take some risks, and I've
> been the better for it. This isn't to say you should buy
> books without looking at them carefully first, but be willing to take some
> risks, and accept the fact that you'll occasionally spend
> $40 or so on a book that you'll later regret.

My fully loaded cost to the company is at least $40/hour. So if any book can save you at least two hours of "wasted" time in searching for a solution to a problem, I consider any book to be a price performer! Just remember that you don't always have to know the answer to every problem off the top of your head. If you know where to find the desired solution "quickly", you'll be doing better than most folks. Received on Fri Nov 24 2000 - 09:54:44 CST