RE: Slightly Off Topic : Book recommendation ... (Oracle DBA 101)

From: Tim Onions <tim.onions_at_speechmachines.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 08:46:10 -0000

Kirsten

I have the book (actually autographed by both Rachel and Marlene!). I find it very useful for things I do not do very often and need to check out. It does not go very deep into any one subject (it is after all a 101/beginners guide). It does, however, describe the principals of what to do and why very well. I have many other Oracle books but after the on-line manuals themselves and Feuerstein when I'm PL/SQL programming this is the one I use most.

For more detailed technical discussions though I'd recommend Kevin Loney's books.

HTH -----Original Message-----
From: Weerd Kirsten, E.C. de [mailto:Kirsten.deWeerd_at_Oranjewoud.nl] Sent: 24 November 2000 06:55
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L Subject: Slightly Off Topic : Book recommendation ... (Oracle DBA 101)

Hi ...

        I've been looking around for some books to buy, and came across one that sounds very interesting to me. But I'd just like to make sure it is what I am looking for so that my boss won't go in a frenzy when I spend his money on a book collecting dust up high on a shelf.

        I'm not questioning the knowledge of any of the authors. Seeing that at least one of them is a member of one of these lists, I do want to make that clear.

        (Please, Please, Please don't hold it against me o Godess Rachel ...)

        The book I'm talking about is Oracle DBA 101 by Marlene Theriault, Rachel Carmichael & James Viscusi.

	What I'm looking for ???
	I've been enrolled as a DBA when my predecessor left the company.
Interested as I was into the world of Oracle, which I only entered about 2 years earlier, I simply coudn't say no to the opportunity of learning more about the way it works ...

        But with slightly less than a year experience, I really feel the need to more insight into what I must do, wat I should and what I can do, and of course, how to do it at all.

        That's why this book sounds interesting to me, as it is described to descibe in detail the day-to-day duties an how to accomplish them ...

        If anyone has read and/or used this book, please share your opinion about it with me. Of course, if Rachel herself wants to comment, please feel free...

        Hope I'm not out of line posting something like this on the list ...

        Greets,

Kirsten

Author: Weerd Kirsten, E.C. de
  INET: Kirsten.deWeerd_at_Oranjewoud.nl

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Nov 24 2000 - 02:46:10 CST