Re: File Separation

From: Emine ATES <emineates_at_postmaster.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 09:05:01 +0000

Hi,
I have also a database server with RAID disks in sets of RAID1,RAID5.
If you have 3 RAID1 sets I suggest that you should prefer to organize files acc. to their certain characteristics. Because logs are sequentially written files putting them with index tablespaces may slow down LGWR. You prefer to distinguish tablespaces as highly accessed. and snchronously accessed ones but I did'nt understand why you put system tablespace and temporary tablespace in the same set. If I were you and I have no other disks other that these 3 RAID1 sets then I would do like this:

  1.set operating system, Oracle software,

        archive logs
  2.set all Oracle tablespaces
  3.set controlfile(1 is enough because it is mirrored),

        online logs

I don't think that puting data and index tablespaces in differen disks make so much difference in performanse because Oracle always read index segments before reading data segments.

I hope I could give you some idea but if your experiences are different than mine, yours are always better of course.