Re: Slightly Off Topic : Book recommendation ... (Oracle DBA 101)

From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 10:26:42 -0500

Hello E.C.,

Friday, November 24, 2000, 1:55:22 AM, you wrote:

WKECd> I've been looking around for some books to buy, and came across one
WKECd> that sounds very interesting to me. But I'd just like to make sure it is
WKECd> what I am looking for so that my boss won't go in a frenzy when I spend his
WKECd> money on a book collecting dust up high on a shelf.

I've found that with respect to books you need to be willing to take some risks. Early in my career I was so afraid of wasting money on a book, that I didn't buy any at all. I shudder to think of all that I didn't learn during those early years. Eventually, I forced myself to take some risks, and I've been the better for it. This isn't to say you should buy books without looking at them carefully first, but be willing to take some risks, and accept the fact that you'll occasionally spend $40 or so on a book that you'll later regret.

Best regards,

Jonathan
mailto:jonathan_at_gennick.com
http://gennick.com Received on Fri Nov 24 2000 - 09:26:42 CST