RE: Slightly Off Topic : Book recommendation ... (Oracle DBA 101)

From: Rachel Carmichael <carmichr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 13:59:08 -0000

Kirsten and Tim (and everyone else here :) )

Tim is right, DBA 101 was designed especially for beginners who have been thrown into Oracle (or who are just starting out, having made the decision themselves)... we tried to cover the basics, and we know we left things out, but the book would have been twice the size (and price!) if we had included all we wanted to....

Way too many years ago to admit to (okay, 10) I became the Oracle DBA where I was working -- and I had never worked with Oracle before. My aim in writing the book was to relieve others of that panicky feeling I had had.

And I would also recommend Kevin's (and Marlene's in the 8i edition) DBA Handbook. We tried to make DBA 101 a lead-in to the Handbook, give you the basics so Kevin could get down into the nitty-gritty.

I'd also recommend Kevin's Complete Reference, and the Backup and Recovery Handbooks by Rama Velpuri. Marlene has written Networking 101 and there will be a Tuning 101 book out at the end of this year (another of the list members is the author of this one, Gaja Vaidyanatha -- I've been privileged to read it as he is writing it, and it's GOOD!)

Rachel