RE: Oracle networking question

From: Tim Onions <tim.onions_at_speechmachines.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 09:09:42 -0000

Michael

The theory goes that one of these 0040 processes is consuming excessive internal resource (although what resource we do not know but the response from Hannah about open cursors is an interesting one which I'll follow up on). Once "consumed" Oracle can no longer accept any more connections. By getting the process to log off the resource is freed again. I'm very interested in the DCOM OO4O your contractor has produced - our processes are also DCOM OO4O!! Also, I guess that OO4O and ODBC have some common code under the skin somewhere. Another thing is our DCOM has been running for months non-stop without problems in the test/dev environments - it would appear that the differnt load on prod is a factor.

The TNS_ADMIN variable thing I think is some part of a lookup hierarchy involving environment variables, registry settings, start in directory and ultimately (hardcoded) oracle_home\network\admin - that previous thought of mine would, in hindsight, appear to be a red herring in this case (although NT definately loses user environment variables here).

The last time we had this problem was 20 days ago and since then we have stopped/restarted the DCOM servers a number of times. As yet no re-occurrance but we'll only know for sure after more than a month.

Regards