Re: Anyone with Standby on 8.0.5, NT please give me hand.

From: Rachel Carmichael <carmichr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 13:24:09 -0000

Reza,

What I did with 7.3.4 on Unix (but the concept should work for NT) was use the recover standby database command with the "AUTOMATIC" option (this is documented, although the syntax is wrong I believe, in Velpuri's first Backup and Recovery Handbook)

What this does is automatically apply all the archive logs that exist... you will get an error in the alert log when it finishes and can't find the next log.

So what I did was create a series of jobs:

1 -- copy the archived logs from the primary (I created a flat file list of all logs I had copied and did a difference between the list and the logs in the archive directory to get the names of the new ones to copy)

2 -- on the standby machine, ran a job every 15 minutes or so that checked to see if it was running already and if it was not, did the RECOVER STANDBY command. If it was already running, then obviously I didn't need to start a new one.

3 -- assorted jobs on both machines to clean out old archived logs

Hope this gives you an idea of how to implement on your machine -- I have no NT experience in production so no scripts to share.

Rachel

Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com Received on Wed Nov 22 2000 - 07:24:09 CST