Re: linux or solaris

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_bcbso.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 15:12:45 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Kris Austin wrote:

> does anyone have any benchmarking results on which platform applications
> run faster? my boss is considering linux bc of cost (oracle licenses are
> less for intel chip than for RISC chips) and if the solaris machines
> aren't considerably faster than intel, we may go with linux.
>
> if this thread has come up already, i apologize.

That really depends on how fast you want it to be.

A 4 CPU maxed out linux server will likely outperform my poor little Sun Ultra 5 workstation, and some of our Sun servers as well.

But then, there isn't a linux box on the planet ( yet ) that can come close to the performance of a maxed out Sun E10K.

So that question is, what do you mean by faster?

Do you want enterprise level storage? It's typically pretty fast, but does not run on Linux.

How many users? How resource hungry is the app?

etc,etc,etc.

Jared Still
Certified Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist ;-) Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon
jkstill_at_bcbso.com - Work - preferred address jkstill_at_teleport.com - private Received on Tue Nov 21 2000 - 17:12:45 CST