RE: Inserting an ampersand (&)

From: Glenn Travis <Glenn.Travis_at_wcom.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 14:13:16 -0500

Metalink article Note: 1009415.6

If you do not have access to Metalink, here's the skinny;

SET DEFINE OFF OR CHANGE THE SUBSTITUTION CHARACTER OR USE ESCAPE \ Workaround 1:
Turn off the substitution variable (&) by executing "SET DEFINE OFF" or by executing "SET SCAN OFF" in SQL*Plus.

Workaround 2:
Use the SET DEFINE SQL*Plus command to set the substitution character from an
ampersand (&) to any other non-alphanumeric non-white space character (such as
an asterisk, percent symbol, or pound sign). Leave DEFINE ON and SCAN ON to process substitution variables.

Workaround 3:
SET ESCAPE ON (Leave the DEFINE as '&' and SCAN ON). Preceed the special character with the escape backslash \.