Re: 7.3.4 -> 8.1.6: Upgrade/Migrate? Or Install/Import

From: Charlie Mengler <charliem_at_mwh.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 14:18:45 -0800

It is a classic case of trade-offs.
Circumstances/available resources may dictate the choice.

A migration is takes less time & requires less disk space. HOWEVER, it is kind of an "Alice through the looking glass" operation. If you start the migration, & have a "major" problem before it completes, your data base could end up as being unrecoverable. The recourse would be to restore from backup tapes.

An export/import will take longer to complete. Depending upon how much data is in the DB and how long your downtime window is, this may be a workable solution. However keep in mind that this approach will require essentailly twice the disk space as in the current database. The upside to this approach is that if there is a problem, you still have the original DB intact and the recovery should be quick & trivial.

At some point in the near future, I'll be upgrading my production database from V7.3.4, but I have a different plan than either of the two above. Since I have the "luxury" of running on mirrored volumes, I'll be splitting the mirrors & migrating only half the disks. If the migration succeeds, then I'll mirror the old half of the disks to the recently migrated disks. If the migration fails, I'll mirror the corrupted disks back to the original half.

HTH & YMMV!

Yexley Robert D SSgt AFIT/SCA wrote:

> Well, I didn't get nearly as much feedback on this as I would have liked to
> have, and thought I'd toss it back out there again to see if I could get
> anything else. Doesn't anyone have any opinions on this?

Charlie Mengler               Maintenance Warehouse
charliem_at_mwh.com              10641 Scripps Summit Ct