RE: 7.3.4 -> 8.1.6: Upgrade/Migrate? Or Install/Import

From: Yexley Robert D SSgt AFIT/SCA <Robert.Yexley_at_afit.af.mil>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:22:55 -0500

Well, I didn't get nearly as much feedback on this as I would have liked to have, and thought I'd toss it back out there again to see if I could get anything else. Doesn't anyone have any opinions on this?

-::YEX::- -----Original Message-----
From: Yexley Robert D SSgt AFIT/SCA [mailto:Robert.Yexley_at_afit.af.mil] Sent: Thursday, November 16, 2000 9:55 AM To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L Subject: 7.3.4 -> 8.1.6: Upgrade/Migrate? Or Install/Import

We are currently still running on Oracle 7.3.4.5.0 on Solaris 2.6, and are planning to upgrade to Oracle 8.1.6, and possibly upgrading the OS to 2.7 also in the process, sometime in the near future. I wanted to throw a feeler out to get people's opinion on what would be the easiest, most painless way to accomplish this. I've read the installation and migration manuals, and it doesn't sound overly difficult to do, but I know that a lot of you out there have a lot more experience with this than we do, and was wondering what would be best for us between the following two choices:

Option 1) Migrate the database by using the Oracle Migration tool (of course backing everything up first).

Option 2) Backup server, Export full database, remove Oracle from the system completely, do a clean install of Oracle 8.1.6, then import the data into the new database.

Part of this project is going to include a re-organization of our tablespaces, as we now have a few additional hard drives to use, and would like to spread things out a little better to improve performance by reducing disk contention. That part of the project was why I thought that it might just be easier to go with Option 2 instead.

Of course I am also open to any other options anybody might have as well. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

SSgt Robert D. Yexley
Air Force Institute of Technology
Applications Services Division (SCA)
-- Oracle Database Programmer/Administrator

<)))><

"God who gave us life gave us liberty.
Can the liberties of a nation be secure
when we have removed a conviction
that these liberties are a gift of God?
Indeed I tremble for my country when
I reflect that God is just, that his
justice cannot sleep forever."

Author: Yexley Robert D SSgt AFIT/SCA
  INET: Robert.Yexley_at_afit.af.mil

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may Received on Mon Nov 20 2000 - 15:22:55 CST