RE: How to put egg on your face

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 12:41:26 -0600

Egad. At least LEARN from your mistakes!

About a year ago, a programmer/analyst co-worker wanted me to upgrade a "test" database from 7.3 to 8.0 on NT -- one that I didn't install. Seeing all the default files in all the default areas, I just did a cold backup and proceeded to migrate. Of course the migrate failed, and being a Friday afternoon, I just restored the backed up datafiles. No dice. The non-DBA who created the database decided that they didn't want the datafiles in the default location, so they just re-created the database with the datafiles in the new location without removing the old files. Did I mention that this database was not in ARCHIVELOG mode? Did I also mention that there was 3 months worth of development work in there that was trashed because the developer didn't know that they were supposed to sync their work to test (pre-production)? Received on Fri Nov 17 2000 - 12:41:26 CST