RE: Rollback segments confusion ?

From: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha <gajav_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 22:04:12 -0800 (PST)

Mandeep,

I am not sure what you mean by 'maintenance'. Each server process that starts a transaction, gets assigned a rollback segment and it is responsible to read the relevant rollback segment blocks into the database buffer cache if they are not already present there, for its use. When these rollback segment blocks get modified by the tranaction (before image gets written into it), they become dirty and move into the dirty list.

In due course, DBWR and/or a combination of DBWR I/O slaves writes the blocks to disk. I don't mean to be rude, but you might want to start reading the Oracle Concepts Manual, to get answers for this and other questions that may arise from this. If you can't find the answers to your questions in the manuals, please post your questions and someone will be more than happy to get you some answers.

Enjoy your bedtime reading...;-)

Gaja

Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha
Director, Storage Management Products, Quest Software Inc. Office : (972)-304-1170, E-mail : gajav_at_yahoo.com

Author - Oracle Tuning 101 by Osborne McGraw-Hill "Opinions and views expressed are my own and not of Quest" Received on Fri Nov 17 2000 - 00:04:12 CST