Re: Production Issue: How to change the database name (sid) i...

From: <Babu.Nagarajan_at_Cummins.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 09:27:16 -0500

hi

if it is not late

  1. start prod instance
  2. alter system backup control file to trace.
  3. shutdown prod and copy files to new location. start prod instace back.
  4. edit the trace file and repoint all the datafiles to the new location.
  5. change the create control file command. change from "create control file database prod... noresetlogs " to create control file SET database dev... RESETLOGS"
  6. change the last line in the trace file "open database " to "open database RESETLOGS"
  7. save it as a sql file.
  8. edit the env and reset SID to test.
  9. login to svrmgrl and run the sql file u saved in step 6.

babu

Hannah.M.Doran_at_sb.com_at_fatcity.com on 11/14/2000 02:45:24 PM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

Sent by: root_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc:

Subject: Production Issue: How to change the database name (sid) i...

Subject:
Production Issue: How to change the database name (sid) in a controlfile

Hi List.

     I am having an issue. I just created a test and devl instance on my development machine (NT SP4, Oracle 7.3.4). In the past I only had one instance
and it had the same SID (ORCL) as production. Since these are Development and
test environments, I used to be able to quickly replicate the prod data by just
copying over the database base files and bringing up the instance. Taaa daaaaa!
Very quick for a 3 GB db.....

     Anyway, I needed to develop two instances, so rebuilt my nt box, created 2
instances: test, devl. I have copied over the db files from prod, but forgot OH
NO, the db name in the control file is now out of sync! I'm running 7.3.4 and
do NOT have the db schema set up (its a vendor app ~500-600 tables - no ddl scripts).

     Anyone know fo a way to change the db name in a control file? Otherwise my
life will be hell and will probably have to start from scratch for both new instances!

Any suggestions? These are only test and development environments, so I'm looking for QUICK in porting my prod data. In the past, this was the quickest
way to do it.

Thanks in advance.

Hannah

  INET: Hannah.M.Doran_at_sb.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may Received on Thu Nov 16 2000 - 08:27:16 CST