Importing with indexes slow on 8.1.6

From: Carle, William T (Bill), NBSO <wcarle_at_att.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:16:14 -0600

Hi,

    I am going to upgrade from 8.0.6 to 8.1.6 and I have a brand new machine I'm using for the 8.1.6 instance. I have a table with 3 indexes and 700,000 rows. When I import into it on the old machine with the 8.0.6 instance, I don't drop the indexes and it takes about 5 minutes. If I do the same thing on the new machine with the 8.1.6 instance, it takes about 30 minutes. However, if I drop the indexes and do the import on the 8.1.6 instance, it takes less than 2 minutes. Any ideas on why it takes so much longer to update the indexes in the 8.1.6 instance? The configuration of the 8.0.6 instance and the 8.1.6 instance seem to be the same.

Bill Carle
AT&T
Database Administrator
816-995-3922
wcarle_at_att.com Received on Thu Nov 16 2000 - 15:16:14 CST