Exp/Imp and old storage clauses

From: Fowler, Kenneth R <kenneth_r_fowler_at_groton.pfizer.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:33:04 -0500

List,

I have been migrating a few database to 8.1.6 (from 7.n.n) on Solaris lately and when I do this I have been using exp/imp so that I can apply some of the storage strategies outlined in the "How To Stop Defragmenting and Start Living" document. The basic method I am using is...

  1. Create new empty database that have tablespaces with appropriate default storage clauses (initial extent, next extent as per the doc's suggestions etc etc).
  2. Perform full export of old database.
  3. Use imp .... indexfile = filename.sql to extract sql for tables, indexes and constraints.
  4. Use a nasty sed script I put together to process the above extracted sql to rip out all of the storage clauses defined at object level and change tablespace clause to whatever I want etc
  5. Create the tables from sql generated in step 3 and 4.
  6. Import row data into the preexisting tables
  7. Create indexes, constraints from sql generated in step 3 and 4.
  8. Perform a final import (ignore = y) to import grants and any other stuff I may have missed (should hopefully not be anything).

This is quite tedious, especially all of the checking I need to do to verify that the sed script works as desired. Anyone know of an easier/better way to import objects and default to the tablespace storage clause (that is, leave off the object storage clause!).

I would really love import to have a switch that would do this for me. Anyone else find themselves jumping through the same hoops?????

	Ken

(Kenneth R Fowler)
(860) 732 0026 (Voice)
(860) 732 3689 (Fax)