Duplicate database question

From: Michael Ray <Michael.Ray_at_trw.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 07:42:40 -0800

--=_065D23E8.9FFE08D0

List,
I have finally got a test box of some sort set up and have restored an old = backup of our production database on it. It is my understanding that the 2 = databases can have the same instance names since they are on different = machines. All I should have to do is add an entry in the names server with = a different service name pointing to the test box. Is there anything I am = missing before I do this? I have not started the listener on the test box = yet to make sure nobody could get in outside the server.

I seem to recall a subthread in the past couple weeks regarding database = unique IDs. Do I need to worry about this? I would expect these would be = the same value for both since I restored from a backup to make my test db.

Thanks.

Michael Ray
Oracle DBA
TRW, Marshall, IL
217-826-3011 x2438

--=_065D23E8.9FFE08D0

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="MSHTML 5.00.2919.6307" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style="FONT: 8pt MS Sans Serif; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px; MARGIN-TOP: 2px">
<DIV>List,</DIV>
<DIV>I have finally got a test box of some sort set up and
have&nbsp;restored&nbsp;an old backup of our production database on it. It is my understanding that the 2 databases can have the same instance names since they are on different machines. All I should have to do is add an entry in the names server with a different service name pointing to the test box. Is there anything I am missing before I do this? I have not started the listener on the test box yet to make sure nobody could get in outside the server.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I seem to recall a subthread in the past couple weeks regarding database
unique IDs. Do I need to worry about this?&nbsp;I would expect these would be the same value for both since I restored from a backup to make my test db.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Michael Ray<BR>Oracle DBA<BR>TRW, Marshall, IL<BR>217-826-3011
x2438</DIV></BODY></HTML> Received on Wed Nov 15 2000 - 09:42:40 CST