RE: How to enable Async I/O on Solaris

From: Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha <gajav_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 10:25:45 -0800 (PST)

Jeff,

I was staying out of this thread for a while, just due to other commitments, but since you mentioned by name, I think I am obligated at least to corroborate what you have said.

The issue I have personally faced with async_io is that in the Oracle realm, until recently where the sun patchset was put out, it flat was not working. Exactly what you said, the pwrite fails 3 times(I think...haven't had much sleep lately) for every write call when it tries async writes. It then throws the towel in and the follows it up, with a normal write.

I have seen this occur over multiple versions of Solaris (2.4 - 2.8) and Oracle (7.3.2 - 8.1.6). In that case, setting multiple dbwr processes or dbwr io slaves works significantly better, as the I/O sub-system was not stressed by these 3 failed writes for every write call from Oracle. Of course on some versions of Oracle on some platforms, setting multiple dbwr causes datafile corruption, so one needs to do one's 'homework' before implementing this.

While at OOW I had a discussion with Richard McDugall (who wrote the 'Getting to know the Solaris Filesystem' articles) and he said that the new patchset should fix the problem. I have personally not tested it as yet, but if it does fix it, then great. If someone can test that, even better. Basically 'trussing' the DBWR process should open the covers and show what is happening.

If not we still can go back to using multiple dbwr or dbwr io slaves. Another note, the issue is less relevant, if you use Quick I/O or Direct I/O with Veritas's Database Edition for Oracle. This is because Quick I/O or Direct I/O can and will provide you comparable performance as async_io, when implemented correctly.

Cheers,

Gaja

Gaja Krishna Vaidyanatha
Director, Storage Management Products, Quest Software Inc. Office : (972)-304-1170, E-mail : gajav_at_yahoo.com

Author - Oracle Tuning 101 by Osborne McGraw-Hill Received on Wed Nov 15 2000 - 12:25:45 CST