7.3.4 to 8.1.7 clone/migration?

From: Michael Parry <parrymd_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:32:43 -0800 (PST)

Hi, I would like to migrate/convert my 7.3.4 database to 8.1.7. Besides the migration tool and import, can I clone my database in the 8.1.7 environment and run some scripts on it to convert it to 8.1.7? I'm currently running Solaris 2.6 with Oracle 7.3.4 and would like to move to another box with Solaris 2.7 and Oracle 8.1.7. Is this a do-able thing by moving the datafiles, creating a control file (clone), and then running scripts to convert? If so, what are the steps I could take.

Thanks, Mike

Michael Parry
CSC - Oracle DBA/Sys Adm
DSN: 525-9162 COM: 661-275-9162
parrymd_at_yahoo.com

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Calendar - Get organized for the holidays! http://calendar.yahoo.com/

 From: Djordje Jankovic <djankovic_at_corp.attcanada.ca>  Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 17:46:39 -0500
 Subject: Index not been used

A strange occurrence happened on my production database today:

DB version 8.0.4 on Solaris 2.6. The load on the server went suddenly up. There were a number of processes that pilled up querying the database through a standard query, which usually end up instantaneously. The load on the unix server skyrocketed. The query queries a view which is a join of five tables (one table being joined with itself). I did explain plan (rule based optimizer) and so that the query is doing a full table scan on that Received on Wed Nov 15 2000 - 16:32:43 CST