Re: Parallel Server definition please.

From: Jay Hostetter <jhostetter_at_decommunications.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:56:34 -0500

Ron,

  Are you using OpenVMS?
  Simply installing Oracle onto shared disks is not OPS. Two (or more) = instances running at the same time on different nodes accessing the same = datafiles is OPS.
  When I was running Oracle on a VMS cluster, I installed the software = from one node onto the shared disks. This installation was accessible to =

all nodes, which meant that all nodes shared one common ORACLE_HOME.  Then =
I could start up databases on each node, using the same Oracle executables.=
  I ran test databases on Node A, and production databases on Node B.  The =
listener.ora had entries in it for two listeners - one for each node. I = never had two instances sharing the same datafiles (but that would be = possible if you installed and configured OPS). If one of the nodes = crashed, I could modify a few configuration files and bring up all of the = databases on the remaining node.

Jay Hostetter
Oracle DBA
D. & E. Communications
Ephrata, PA USA

>>> "Ron Rogers" <RROGERS_at_galottery.org> 11/15/00 12:51PM >>>
List,
I have been reading the information provided by Oracle about parallel = server option and I have confused myself (easy task lately).. Oracle = states that Parallel Server Option allows 2 instances to access the same = database at the same time. No problem understanding that part. We have an = Alpha Clustered box that has 2 cpu boxes sharing the same os disk, = multiple controllers and paths to the database disks. Is this the same as = Parallel Server option? I would have to set each box up with a different = IP address in the listner to allow access to both cpu boxes.  I am confused and need direction to clarify the answer.  Another option would be to use 1 cpu box IP as the development and the = other as the production and then set up the listner to work in that = manner. But what about the instances? there is 1 os drive for the 2 = servers and where do I install Oracle because there is only 1 disk farm = accessable to both cpu boxes?
 Have I confused you too?
ROR m=AA=BF=AAm

--
Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com=20