Re: How to put egg on your face

From: Rachel Carmichael <carmichr_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 02:40:14 GMT

As a friend of mine often says....

sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug

sounds like today you were the bug....

my most heartfelt sympathies. Been there, done that.... or at least something similarly embarrassing

>From: Jonathan Gennick <jonathan_at_gennick.com>
>To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
>Subject: How to put egg on your face
>Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:55:24 -0800
>
>Here's a new recipe I discovered today for putting egg on my
>face:
>
>1. Run low on disk on the server
>
>2. Hurriedly delete "unused" database files in order to free
>up space because you are behind on a deadline.
>
>(you can see where this is going, right<grin>).
>
>3. Call up Oracle Support about a completely different
>problem.
>
>4. While on the phone with the support analyst, "bounce"
>database instance to change a parameter setting.
>
>5. Discover that instance won't start because files are
>missing.
>
>6. Mutter various words that should be deprecated from the
>English language<grin>.
>
>7. Defer discussion of original problem until you can
>rebuild the database.
>
>8. Imagine support analyst laughing after she hangs up the
>phone.
>
>It's very important to do steps 4-7 while on the phone with
>a knowledgeable Oracle professional, so that you can
>maximize the exposure of your utterly stupid act of deleting
>your database files while your database is running.
>
>I should know better. It was a test database, and because of
>that I got a bit too cavalier with it. I paid by spending a
>couple of hours recreating the database from scratch. On the
>positive side, the support call involved some database links
>that I couldn't seem to drop. Trashing the entire database
>took care of that problem quite nicely<grin>.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Jonathan
>mailto:jonathan_at_gennick.com
>http://gennick.com
>

>--
>--
>Author: Jonathan Gennick
> INET: jonathan_at_gennick.com

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at Received on Tue Nov 14 2000 - 20:40:14 CST