DB2 to Oracle 8i conversion

From: Rama Malladi <rmalladi_at_inteliant.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 14:30:19 -0800

Hi,
 There is a requirement in one of the upcoming projects to move from DB2 to Oracle 8i. I know the answer to this is not that simple. Existing system has lots of data (150 GB) in the DB2 database with lots of Cobol programs.

 I was wondering, if anybody can share their experiences in their projects. In one of my earlier projects, we moved from a Unisys system (Hierarchical database) to Oracle 8, but it involved lots of PL/SQL, PRO*C programs along with SQL*Loader for data migration, and there were lots of problems in the end.

 I am interested in the following 2 areas... a) Data Migration - Any tools out there to migrate easily from DB2 to Oracle? Writing the data into Text files and using SQL*Loader looks like a lengthy process.
b) Programs conversion - Converting the Cobol programs to Stored Procedures, PRO*C etc... Any Tools for this ? Is it better to move the Java Route?

Any inputs would be highly appreciated. Received on Tue Nov 14 2000 - 16:30:19 CST