Production Issue: How to change the database name (sid) i...

From: <Hannah.M.Doran_at_sb.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 14:38:20 -0500

Subject:
Production Issue: How to change the database name (sid) in a controlfile

Hi List.

     I am having an issue. I just created a test and devl instance on my development machine (NT SP4, Oracle 7.3.4). In the past I only had one instance and it had the same SID (ORCL) as production. Since these are Development and test environments, I used to be able to quickly replicate the prod data by just copying over the database base files and bringing up the instance. Taaa daaaaa! Very quick for a 3 GB db.....

     Anyway, I needed to develop two instances, so rebuilt my nt box, created 2 instances: test, devl. I have copied over the db files from prod, but forgot OH NO, the db name in the control file is now out of sync! I'm running 7.3.4 and do NOT have the db schema set up (its a vendor app ~500-600 tables - no ddl scripts).

     Anyone know fo a way to change the db name in a control file? Otherwise my life will be hell and will probably have to start from scratch for both new instances!

Any suggestions? These are only test and development environments, so I'm looking for QUICK in porting my prod data. In the past, this was the quickest way to do it.

Thanks in advance. Received on Tue Nov 14 2000 - 13:38:20 CST