Re: Purging database question

From: Tom Pall <tom_at_cdproc.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 15:26:55 -0600

Laugh at our solution, if you wish. It works for us.

We wanted a reporting database that had data current as of midnight. Also wanted to move history tables from production to the reporting database.

Solution:

A "refresh" database, created from a broken 3rd mirror right after midnight. A "persistent" database. Database links between production and "persistent", "refresh" and "persistent" for queries needing historical _and_ more recent data.

Data is selected from "refresh" into "persistent". After we're sure "persistent"'s export and backup have made it to tape, delete from what was selected from "refresh".

Works for us.

Plus, "refresh" acts as a second hot failover should production die.