Re:Killing "Killed" Users

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_bcbso.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 08:20:50 -0800 (PST)

I've found that the best method for killing session is to kill the system process *first*, then kill the Oracle session.

PMON seems to do a better job of cleaning up sessions that way. Dunno why, but several years of anecdotal evidence and being required to bounce the DB when I didn't kill the process first have convinced me.

Jared

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 dgoulet_at_vicr.com wrote:

> Lee,
>
> Killing a killed user has been a problem, at least around here, for quite
> some time & has generated several TAR's. My problem is the end user who
> launches the update from HELL and then power cycles their PC. Oracle does a
> fine job of rolling back the transaction, but since it no longer can communicate
> with the originating session it hang almost indefinitely. Now this is not in
> and of itself bad, except for good old Oracle's Read Consistent View mechanism.
> Since the transaction was started as a particular SCN on a particular table(s)
> then our good old buddy hangs onto all rollback data on that table(s) until you
> finally run out of rollback space. At this point you've only one resort, bounce
> the DB which many times requires the use of "shutdown abort". Now I understand
> Oracle's take on the matter. PMON and SMON are after all background tasks & the
> first job of the DB is to process data for active users, but I think in this
> case a second look at what is happening is required. Basically I think they
> need to code something into the database that basically says, "I give up, you're
> out of here".
>
> BTW: Dead connect detect was suppose to do that. Too bad it had terminal
> problems of it's own.
>
> Dick Goulet
> INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

Jared Still
Certified Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist ;-) Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon
jkstill_at_bcbso.com - Work - preferred address Received on Mon Nov 13 2000 - 10:20:50 CST