Trying to change remote_login_passwordfile from shared to exclusi

From: Garrity Ed R <Ed.R.Garrity_at_irs.gov>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 18:55:30 -0500

This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C04DCD.341B4250

        charset="ISO-8859-1"

I have been trying to change the value for 'remote_login_passwordfile' from shared to exclusive. So far, nothing I've done has been successful. I have it set equal to exclusive, in my init.ora file, yet every time I stop and restart the database, the statement,
select name, value from v$parameter where name = 'remote_login_passwordfile',
shows that the value has remained shared.

In the init.ora file I purposely misspelled 'remote_login_passwordfile' to see if I was using the wrong init.ora file. I received an error. Oracle told me that I was not using a valid parameter. So I know I'm editing the correct file. Next I misspelled exclusive. Once again Oracle complained, this time telling me that I had not entered a valid value. Next I removed the password file, but then the database would mount, but would not open. It complained that the password file did not exist. So I created it using "orapwd" and then I could alter database open. But the value for remote_login_passwordfile remains "shared". I have read Oracle's Administrator's Guide and the Oracle8i DBA Handbook (Loney & Theriault), but have found no clues. I get the same results if I set 'remote_login_passwordfile' equal to none. It still says shared.

The value of ifile is null, so no config.ora file is being called by my init.ora file.

I'm using Oracle 8.1.6.1 on Sun Solaris 2.7.

Can someone provide some clues?

Thanks in Advance,

Ed

------_=_NextPart_001_01C04DCD.341B4250

        charset="ISO-8859-1"

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3DISO-8859-1">
5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>Trying to change remote_login_passwordfile from shared to =
exclusive</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I have been trying to&nbsp; change the =
value for 'remote_login_passwordfile' from shared to exclusive.&nbsp; = So far, nothing I've done has been successful.&nbsp; I have it set = equal to exclusive, in my init.ora file, yet every time I stop and = restart the database, the statement,</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">select name, value from v$parameter =
where name =3D 'remote_login_passwordfile',</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">shows that the value has remained =
shared.&nbsp; </FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">In the init.ora file I purposely =
misspelled 'remote_login_passwordfile'&nbsp; to see if I was using the = wrong init.ora file.&nbsp; I received an error.&nbsp; Oracle told me = that I was not using a valid parameter.&nbsp; So I know I'm editing the = correct file.&nbsp; Next I misspelled exclusive.&nbsp; Once again = Oracle complained, this time telling me that I had not entered a valid = value.&nbsp; Next I removed the password file, but then the database = would mount, but would not open.&nbsp; It complained that the password = file did not exist.&nbsp; So I created it using &quot;orapwd&quot; and = then I could alter database open.&nbsp; But the value for = remote_login_passwordfile remains &quot;shared&quot;.&nbsp; I have read = Oracle's Administrator's Guide and the Oracle8i DBA Handbook (Loney = &amp; Theriault), but have found no clues.&nbsp; I get the same results = if I set 'remote_login_passwordfile' equal to none.&nbsp; It still says = shared.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">The value of ifile is null, so no =
config.ora file is being called by my init.ora file.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I'm using Oracle 8.1.6.1 on Sun =
Solaris 2.7.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Can someone provide some clues?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks in Advance,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Ed</FONT>