Re: Redo a Tablespace

From: Gregory Conron <gconron_at_hfx.andara.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 19:06:11 -0400

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Burton, Laura L. wrote:

> I want to delete a tablespace that is already in use (contains tables) and
> rebuild it. Would someone please look at the steps I am going to take and
> offer advice if you see a problem?
>
> 1. Shutdown database and back it up (datafiles, redo, archive, etc)
> 2. Restart database ... maybe exclusive to keep others off
> 3. Export user (which only has tables on the tablespace I want to delete)
> 4. Drop user cascade
> 5. Drop tablespace
> 6. Delete datafile file from disk (if the drop tablespace takes care of
> this then I'll go to step 7)
> 7. Create tablespace with new info
> 8. Create user
> 9. Import user
> 10. Alter database for everyone's use

Hi Laura,

This would work. However, you don't have to drop the user - is there any reason why you can't simply export the tables in the affected tablespace and import them after the tablespace has been recreated?

Cheers,
GC
 --
"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth."

                                    --Niels Bohr