RMAN TSPITR DB Clone setup vs. Database Recovery - Long

From: Frank N. Pettinato <frankp_at_extremezone.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 21:41:51 -0700

All,

We are currently trying to implement a TSPITR solution for a client. Background: Oracle 8.0.5.1 on IBM NUMAQ's. Plenty of RAM and disk. We have setup RMAN on a separate server using the recovery catalog on the remote server. We have run full (database) backups to Veritas without any problems.

Now my question:
In the 8.0.5 doc it says that you can restore then recover a tablespace without creating a DB clone. The syntax is: run

# Recover tablespace TBS_1 while database is open allocate channel dev1 type 'sbt_tape';
sql "alter tablespace TBS_1 offline immediate"; restore tablespace TBS_1;
recover tablespace TBS_1;
sql "alter tablespace TBS_1 online";
release channel dev1;
}
According to the manual this will restore and recover the tablespace TBS1 in the current location of the tablespace (/u01/whatever...)

If the database doesn't have to be closed for this and I can recover a tablespace WHY do I need a CLONE database?

The CLONE database Oracle wants me to use is a "copy" (like a standby) then recover to the point in time and then export/import and BTW take care of your own referential integrity...

Why should someone do this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Alot!

Frank Pettinato Received on Mon Nov 13 2000 - 22:41:51 CST