RE: NT4+oracle8.0.5: OCIW32.dll can't be deleted and finding lock

From: Reardon, Bruce (CALBBAY) <Bruce.Reardon_at_comalco.riotinto.com.au>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 22:30:48 -0000

According to a message I read on Metalink on this topic, you might need to: Stop the MS DTC service (if it exists) - the distributed transaction coordinator
or remove the Oracle directories from the path and then reboot

You might also want to try stopping the SNMP service (if you are using it).

If that doesn't work (or maybe first) then try to find out what process is locking the dll file:

net file - from cmd prompt

        this will tell you files being accessed through the network

tlist taskname

        tlist is from the NT4 resource kit and don't know if it works under Win 2000

	tlist no params will give you all the tasks running
	tlist taskname (or number) will tell you the dll's, drv's, exe's etc
being accessed by that task
	- useful if you can't delete a dll because it is in use
	can only do one task at a time (though could write a for loop to do
all at once)

nthandle / handleex

        available from http://www.sysinternals.com/

        I have had these occassionaly miss an open / locked dll from the list of open files

		(hence why tlist is mentioned above)
	But very handy in that it is easy to search for an open file (can do
all open files at once)

Regards,
Bruce Reardon