Re: Rollback info .

From: Gregory Conron <gconron_at_hfx.andara.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 12:02:33 -0400

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000, you wrote:

> Dear gurus !
> Some questions regarding rollback and/or redo , please :
>
> 1) Is there a way to do a "un-rollback-able transaction" , i.e not to produce any rollback for a transaction ?

Look into discrete transactions. They don't generate rolback, but are not very viable. I believe Oracle received a lot of flack wrt discrete transactions as they were felt to be "benchmark specials", that is, designed to improve TPC-C scores.

> 2) I'm using a lot of SQL*Loader during my batch loads .
> Is there a way not to generate any rollback or redo for those loads , but still to keep everything recoverable ?

No - no redo means no recovery, unless you do a backup immediately afterward. If you want to avoid rollback writing, use direct loads - it will write formatted blocks directly to the disk and not generate rollback entries.

> 3) Is there a way to specify "SET TRANSACTION USE ROLLBACK SEGMENT ...." for those SQL*Loader loads ?
> And for imports ?

No. See above for sqlloader. Import is basically a whack of insert statements (and ddl for the tables/indexes/view/etc), and as such will generate rollback entries.

Cheers,
GC

--
"The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the opposite
of a profound truth may well be another profound truth."