Problem solved, but WHY??? (Long)

From: Michael Ray <Michael.Ray_at_trw.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 09:16:35 -0800

I hope some bright Oracle networking guru out there can explain WHY our = problem was solved the way it was. PLEASE!

You can read the initial plea for help at the bottom if you wish. This is = what solved it as I explained it to my boss: "I have no idea and neither did support. Chalk it up to a freaky NT thing. = Either the registry got confused on it's own or the memory is whacked out. = Nothing had changed and everything was running fine, new users just = couldn't connect. What finally solved it was moving 2 Oracle networking = config files (sqlnet.ora and tnsnames.ora) to a different directory = (oracle_home\bin) from the default directory (oracle_home\network\admin) = per support's stab-in-the-dark suggestion. Without restarting anything = after moving them, connections could be made. If I moved them back, = zippo."

Why would moving these 2 files fix it when it had been running fine for = months????!!!!! My instructor for Network Admin said there was some server = functionality for sqlnet.ora (aside from the obvious like connecting at = the server or turning on tracing I assume), but we never discussed it and = it didn't come up in the coursebook. However, it is obvious something on = the server reads it every time a connection is attempted. Is it listener =

when it attempts to spawn a session? Yet it could read the listener.ora =
file from the same default directory. I would really like to understand =
this better because I would never have thought of moving those files. I =
would have prayed and rebooted the server, which potentially would have =
taken down the whole plant rather than just 2 lines.

I had stopped and started the listener before I sent the below mail. We do = not use MTS. At the time, I could find no error logs or trace files = anywhere. Trace files were never generated, even when following support's = directions! Everything would just plain hang except for the fact you could = see my connection entry in the listener.log.

I have now found a couple errors in a few sqlnet.log files on the server = that don't seem related. Why doesn't it write into the same one??? That's = really annoying when trying to find a problem.

This one is from the Bin directory and is during the time of the problem. = There are 3 identical entries and the only other entries were the same = error when we first started this server in July. I believe these errors = are caused by not setting the ORACLE_SID and/or service name correctly = when attempting to connect (eg, we don't have an ORCL instance).

Fatal OSN connect error 12547, connecting to:
 (DESCRIPTION=3D(ADDRESS_LIST=3D(ADDRESS=3D(PROTOCOL=3DBEQ)(PROGRAM=3Doracl=
e73)(ARGV0=3Doracle73ORCL)(ARGS=3D'(DESCRIPTION=3D(LOCAL=3DYES)(ADDRESS=3D(=
PROTOCOL=3Dbeq)))')))(CONNECT_DATA=3D(SID=3DORCL)(CID=3D(PROGRAM=3DPLUS33W.=
EXE)(HOST=3DXXX)(USER=3DAdministrator))))

  VERSION INFORMATION:

	TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 2.3.4.0.0 - Production
	Oracle Bequeath NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version =
2.3.4.0.0 - Production
  Time: 10-NOV-00 04:39:11
  Tracing not turned on.
  Tns error struct:
    nr err code: 12206
    TNS-12206: TNS:received a TNS error during navigation     ns main err code: 12547
    TNS-12547: TNS:lost contact
    ns secondary err code: 12560
    nt main err code: 517
    TNS-00517: Lost contact
    nt secondary err code: 0
    nt OS err code: 0

This one is from the Network\Log directory and occurred about 4 hours ago, = a couple hours AFTER the problem was "fixed". I have no idea why it is so = broken up. I'm guessing a client process was killed and there were a few = retries so it was overwriting itself.
***********************************************************************onne=
ct error 12637, connecting to:
 (LOCAL=3DNO)
32-bit Windows: Version 2.3.4.0.0 - Production

        Windows NT TCP/
Fatal OSN connect error 12637, connecting to:  (LOCAL=3DNO)
 Production

  VERSION INFORMATION:

	TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 2.3.4.0.0 - Production
	Oracle Bequeath NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version =
2.3.4.0.0 - Production
	Windows NT TCP/IP NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version =
2.3.4.0.0 - Production

  VERSION INFORMATION:

	TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 2.3.4.0.0 - Production
	Oracle Bequeath NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version =
2.3.4.0.0 - Production
	Windows NT TCP/IP NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version =
2.3.4.0.0 - Production
  Time: 10-NOV-00 12:43:07
637, connecting to:
 (LOCAL=3DNO)
[...]

Fatal OSN connect error Tns error struct: ON:

        TNS for 3
Fatal OSN connect error 12637, connecting to:  (LOCAL=3DNO)
h NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version 2.3.4.0.0 - Production

        Windows NT TCP/IP NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version = 2.3.4.0.0 - Production

    ns main err code: 12637
37, connecting to:
 (LOCAL=3DNO)
.4.0.0 - Production

        Oracle Bequeath NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version = 2.3.4.0.0 - Production

        Windows NT TCP/IP NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version = 2.3.4.0.0 - Production
  Time: 10-NOV-00 12:43:07
NS for 32-bit Windows: Version 2.3 nr err code: 0 : 12637
Bequeath NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version 2.3.4.0.0 - = Production

        Windows NT TCP/IP NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version = 2.3.4.0.0 - Production

  VERSION INFORMATION:

	TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 2.3.4.0.0 - Production
	Oracle Bequeath NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version =
2.3.4.0.0 - Production
	Windows NT TCP/IP NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version =
2.3.4.0.0 - Production

    VERSION INFORMATION:

	TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 2.3.4.0.0 - Production
	Oracle Bequeath NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version =
2.3.4.0.0 - Production
	Windows NT TCP/IP NT Protocol Adapter for 32-bit Windows: Version =
2.3.4.0.0 - Production

    ns main err code: 12637
led

    ns main err code: 12637 Trac ns secondary err co Tns Tracing = not turned on ns main Tracing Tns err Tns e nt m TNS- ns =

seconda    nr err code:        nr err code: TNS-12637: Pa        ns main =
err c    nt main e       nt se    ns secondary e    ns     n    ns main e  =
  nt OS   TNS-1    nt    ns main    nt     nt mai     ns main       nt mai =
   r nt secon nt secondary err cTNS-12637: Packet receive failed nt secondary err code: 0
ed
 err code: 0

    nt secondary err code: 0
    nt OS err code: 0
    nt OS err code: 0
    nt secondary err code: 0
    nt OS err code: 0
TNS-12637: Packet receive failed

    nt main err code: 0
: 0

    nt secondary err code: 0
    nt OS err code: 0
de: 0

    nt OS err code: 0
    nt main err code: 0
    nt OS err code: 0

 failed

    nt OS err code: 0
de: 0

    nt secondary err code: 0
    nt OS err code: 0

    nt main err code: 0
: 0

    nt secondary err code: 0
    nt secondary err code: 0
    nt OS err code: 0
    nt OS err code: 0
    ns secondary err code: 0
    nt main err code: 0
    nt secondary err code: 0
    nt OS err code: 0
[...]

Michael Ray
Oracle DBA
TRW, Marshall, IL
217-826-3011 x2438

>>> Michael.Ray_at_trw.com 11/09/00 11:10PM >>> I just got called into work. It seems all the sudden nobody can connect to = one instance even though it is running.=20

The listener is running fine. It shows no errors in listener.log and shows = it making my conneciton yet SQL*Plus hangs on my PC and generates no trace = info at all even though I set the level to support (it does trace if I = connect to another instance).

The names server is running fine since I can connect to any of the other = databases and I can get to the listener on the problem one.

The database is running because people already connected are still using = it. Nothing shows in the alert log and there are no trace files. Received on Fri Nov 10 2000 - 11:16:35 CST