RE: Index Organized tables: Please explain use?

From: <Hannah.M.Doran_at_sb.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 13:42:01 -0500

Michael,

Ok, A stupid question now: IMH ( and newbie) O, I'm afraid I didn't get to this acronym in my trial by fire training:> or was that sink or swim training?

Thanks,

      Hannah

"Michael Ray" <Michael.Ray_at_trw.com> on 11/10/2000 01:18:32 PM

Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> cc:
Subject: RE: Index Organized tables: Please explain use?

Hannah,
You pretty much summed it up. The db maintains one b-tree structure that contains both the PK and the "extra" columns for each row. They are useful for frequent data access through the PK or a prefix of the PK. They take less storage and provide faster key-based access. To keep the b-tree densely clustered, you can keep non-key columns in an overflow area. IMH ( and newbie) O, that seems to be defeating the purpose of using an IOT. IOTs are not good for DML operations.

Have fun with the "Bible".

Michael Ray
Oracle DBA
TRW, Marshall, IL Received on Fri Nov 10 2000 - 12:42:01 CST