Re: Defrag a tablespace

From: Tom Pall <tom_at_cdproc.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 14:58:44 -0600

There's another potential way.

Map out the used and free extents. Find the used extents which are causing fragmentation. Rebuild the objects elsewhere. Perhaps even in the same tablespace. I've done this, on a few 8.0 24x7 databases. It can be like running in front of a steam roller to pick up pennies, but it works.

If you have OEM tablespace manager before version 2, the mapping is done for you and really easy to read. ----- Original Message -----
From: Ruth Gramolini <rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com> Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2000 9:51 AM Subject: Re: Defrag a tablespace