**ALERT** Serious Oracle 8.1.7 MTS bug

From: Roby Sherman <rxsherm_at_interealm.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 18:31:37 -0600

Hi everyone.

I've been working a critical 8.1.7 bug most of the day that I thought you would give you a heads up on:

The short of the story is that MTS is basically broken in Oracle 8.1.7.0 on Solaris (don't know yet about NT or other Unix flavors).

The longer explanation is that when the database starts up, it only registers the "local" service (dedicated) with the listener. The dispatchers never register with the listener, causing user connections to either 1> Connect to the database with a dedicated server connection (a problem that might not be noticed in development environments adopting the new release, but sure as heck could cripple some production environments) or be refused a connection because the listener could not locate the MTS service name.

Oracle cannot find a bug (or subsequent patch) for this problem and there is no workaround at this time (short of using dedicated or downgrading back to 8.1.6)

I'll have a bug# tomorrow (HOPEFULLY once support finds an 8.1.7 instance to test on internally and reproduce the problem) for those of you who want to track the progress of this. In the meantime, I've had to pull 8.1.7 out of our deployment center and issue a bunch of internalized alerts. This may be the terminal release, but I'm letting our Enterprise adopt this version until we get a good patch set under our belts. :)

In the meantime, if ANYONE has 8.1.7 on this or any other platform with the same or different results, please e-mail me. I'd like to get an idea if this is simply a Solaris issue or if this is more widespread. Received on Wed Nov 08 2000 - 18:31:37 CST