Re: tnsping works but not sqlplus

From: Roby Sherman <rxsherm_at_interealm.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 18:40:35 -0600

I've seen this problem before on 8.1.6.0. It was fixed in 8.1.6.2. Don't know about 8.1.5, but here goes:

There is a bug in some versions of the Net8 listener that will affect client connections as they are redirected to an MTS dispatcher or dedicated server. When the listener provides the client with the redirection information, the server host's operating system name (The one found in uname, Etc.) is returned to form the new connection string.

What does this mean? It means that if you specify a server by IP address (because you're not running DNS) or official DNS name (which let's say is different than the box's actual system name) in the connect string that it will get to the listener and get redirected to a name that the client cannot resolve.

Some things that you can try to eliminate your problem:

Hope this helps,

--Roby