simple connection to remote database for dummy ?

From: Peter J. Schoenster <peter_at_schoenster.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 10:35:36 -0700

Hi,

2 things.

1st thing is probably a simple problem connecting to a remote database.

2nd thing is about seeking an oracle consultant.

1st, my question :) .... I need to connect from a solaris/oracle8.i to another solars/oracle8.8i. I use telnet to modify any config files. Oracle is running on both boxes. It seems a tnsping works:

> > tnsping ip#
>
> TNS Ping Utility for Intel SVR4 UNIX: Version 8.1.5.0.0 - Production
> on 08-NOV-00 08:52:13
>
> (c) Copyright 1997 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> Attempting to contact (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=ip#)(PORT=1521)) OK
> (3940 msec)

I understand that the remote oracle server is up and running (as opposed to a computer connected at that address)

But I cannot do this:

sqlplus username/password_at_ip#

I get this:

ERROR:
ORA-12514: TNS:listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect descriptor

and then I default to my local database.

I put this:

SID =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = id#)(PORT = 1521))

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVICE_NAME = SID)
    )
  )

in the tnsnames.ora but that hasn't helped. I wonder if I need to ask oracle to reread that file again. I've done searches on this at orafaq but found no command like Kill -HUP pid to force it to reread that file, if that's necessary.

Then again maybe I need to configure my listener.ora file. Any clues greatly appreciated.

2nd thing:

 I've gone through 2 outside consultants. Both of them had to be prodded to respond in a timely fashion but did good work when done. I'm primarily a Perl/Apache/rdbms developer whose primary rdbms experience has been with mysql. I've already created apps that run on multiple boxes with a variety of rdbms and using the DBI/DBD and configuration hashes I can use the same script on different boxes with different rdbms' with the change of just one variable.

As much as I would love to learn Oracle I just don't have the time. If anyone is a consultant who can get little things done quickly and big things done timely please contact me off the list.

Peter

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go Received on Wed Nov 08 2000 - 11:35:36 CST