Re: Change Server Name on NT Box (how to)

From: Gary Norwell <gnorwell_at_hybridturkeys.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 11:15:01 -0500

On 8 Nov 00, at 7:25, Michael Ray wrote:

> Gary,
> If you use local naming, you will need to change the tnsnames.ora file
> on all the clients. If you use Oracle Names, then you simply change it
> on the names server(s). These 2 options tell the client where it finds
> the listener to make the connection. Since the listener machines names
> will be different, they will not be able to find it anymore. The
> listener then decides where the instance is, which you've already
> noticed from the listener.ora file.
>
> One other thing you may wish to consider if your environment will
> allow it is to use the IP address rather than machine name. Then you
> wouldn't have had this problem. It is also slightly more efficient
> since it removes the DNS server from the equation. We normally use
> DHCP here but use static IPs on the servers.

The relevant entry in the tnsnames.ora file on the clients is:

HYFIS.WORLD =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.1.1.3)(PORT = 1521))

    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SID = hyfis)
    )
  )

We have been using static IP for the servers, and don't have DNS or any Oracle Names server implemented. I think that from the client perspective, we are okay.

Without consulting me beforehand, our network admin changed the server name of the DB machine (at ip address 10.1.1.3) but had not rebooted. I could not connect from my client machine. Then he changed it back (again without a reboot) and I was able to connect. That's when I quickly started to dig into the listener.ora and other files on the DB server (not the client). I noted that the current (old) name of the server is part of the listener configuration.

Since I haven't dealt with this issue before, I wanted to unearth any other changes that need to be made in Oracle to conform to the name change.

Gary Norwell, Database Developer
Hybrid Turkeys a Division of Nutreco Canada 650 Riverbend Drive, Suite "C"
Kitchener Ontario Canada N2K 3S2
(519) 578-2740 Fax (519) 578-1870 Received on Wed Nov 08 2000 - 10:15:01 CST