Re: oracle on linux ?? newbie

From: Mike Lanteigne <mikel_at_shec.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 13:07:10 -0600

Hello Mandeep,

I just completed my first Oracle instal on LINUX. I used Redhat 6.2, as it seems to be the unofficial standard, however the docs say any LINUX kernel ver 2.2 or higher will do. I installed Oracle 816 on an old Micron dual PII 200 with 128 MB RAM and two 4GB HDs. I also configured this machine to act as a web server and FTP server (all test stuff of course). The system works remarkably well for the work it is doing.

I strongly suggest reading the Oracle install manual cover to cover a few times and going over the OFA docs that come with the Oracle software. The documentation is quite good and will step you through the entire install proceedure (assuming you know a little UNIX).

As for price - I think standard Intel power unit pricing applies (see Oracle web page for details).

Good luck

Mike