tnsping works but not sqlplus

From: Peter J. Schoenster <peter_at_schoenster.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 16:55:46 -0700

Hi,

Thanks to yosi who told me my tnsnames.ora file was okay and that I should use the SID and not IP number I tried again. I then discovered that I have 2 instances of tnsnames.ora within the ORACLE_HOME :) So I changed the one here:

/oracle/app/oracle/network/admin

to be like the one here:

/oracle/app/oracle

And then when I ran this:

tnsping SID

it resolved the name and came back with an OK.

> tnsping SID

TNS Ping Utility for Intel SVR4 UNIX: Version 8.1.5.0.0 - Production on 08-NOV-00 15:19:59

(c) Copyright 1997 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Attempting to contact
(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=IP#)(PORT=1521)) OK (560 msec)

But when I tried it with sqlplus I get this:

ERROR:
ORA-12514: TNS:listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect descriptor

Odd ... I thought if tnsping worked, so should sqlplus. I thought I had it :) Anyone with any more clues?

Peter

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away". Received on Wed Nov 08 2000 - 17:55:46 CST