RE: Oracle newbie

From: DanversJ <DanversJ_at_gunlocke.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 07:32:48 -0600

Thanks for the feedback Mike...

I "have the dB" purely in the respect that the box lives in the server room and I'm the network admin on site (NT). ( We also have an HP3000 and HPUX box here that other folks tend to ) As it is running on NT, I am therefore more or less responsible for its health and well being ( backups ). Our "in house oracle person" is the person who knows more about it ( oracle ) than I do - she is very ( very ) limited in her knowledge or experience with the underlying OS and/or any networking though. Her office is clear at the other end of the building too, whereas I'm only 20 feet away from any of the servers from my office. This is not the prettiest thing in the world, as you might well imagine. ( the blind leading the blind come to mind?? ) I plan on obtaining all of the install cd's and whatnot for the product from her and installing it on my own on a test box so that I can play / learn more about it. I will probably go back to borders sometime this week and pick up a book - got any recommendations. I'm thinking one of the "oracle on nt" type books - preferable something geared towards someone like myself - I have the know how where the OS and general networking is concerned - but very little ( none ) with oracle.