RE: Problems with LOBs and triggers

From: Shaw, Glen <Glen.Shaw_at_BellSouth.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 08:11:42 -0500

Helmut,

The problem is the requirement of having to have a lock on the row for the LOB column to be updated. There is a workaround that I think might help you. I posted it to the list a few days ago. I reprint it here. What you need to do is use a temporary lob locator through the dbms_lob package. Take a look at the documentation on the DBMS_LOB package. Below is an example using an insert.

Ex.
  declare
    tmpCLOB CLOB;
    sData VarChar2(10000) := 'Some really long string that is more than 4k.';
  begin

The really cool thing about using the temporary lobs is that you can do updates to lobs without having to lock the row beforehand. This is a really good thing if you are working in java and already have the lob value in an object element.

Hope this helps,
Glen