Novell being de-supported -- is it true?

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 11:44:48 -0400

I did a search in Metalink, nowhere does it say Oracle will de-support Novell.

It does say it will de-support NDS, IPX/SPX and Oracle Names, though.

If someone can point me to a link that states Novell will be de-supported, I would like to see it.

This is the closest thing I found in Metalink:

Note:123179.1
Subject: NDA External Naming, SPX/IPX Protocol, Net8 Open & Oracle Names Advisory Notice
Content Type: TEXT/PLAIN
Type: DESUPPORT
Creation Date: 26-OCT-2000
Last Revision Date: 26-OCT-2000
Language: USAENG

Oracle Support Services
Product Obsolescence Advisory

October 2000

Product:	NDS External Naming, SPX/IPX Protocol, Net8 Open
                and Oracle Names
Platform: 	All Platforms

Advisory Announcement:
Oracle Corporation announces the end of error correction for NDS External Naming, SPX/IPX Protocol and Net8 Open on all platforms, upon the effective obsolescence of Oracle8i, v8.1.7. Oracle8i v8.1.7 will be the terminal release for these features.

Oracle Corporation announces the end of error correction for Oracle Names on all platforms. The desupport date of Oracle Names is dependent on the schedule of Oracle9i. Oracle9i (v8.2) will be the terminal release of Oracle Names.

Advisory Announcement Details:
Extended Assistance Support will be provided after the official Error Correction Support end date if the customer has a current support contract in place. Extended Assistance Support provides telephone and electronic support only, consisting of the following:
- Answers to customer questions and queries

Extended Assistance Support does not include the following:
- Software Error Correction Support

Support Notes:
Oracle recommends that customers migrate from Oracle Names and NDS External Naming to LDAP Directory Naming, of Oracle8i v8.1.6 or a later version; to migrate from SPX/IPX to TCP/IP, as soon as possible to maintain the highest level of support for their products and systems.

Customer Action:
To request a migration to LDAP Directory Naming or TCP/IP, please call 719-785-7600 (West), 719-635-8900 (Central) or 407-240-8900 (East) and route your call to Client Relations. Non-U.S. customers should contact their Oracle Local Support Center(LSC).

This service announcement is addressed to your company contact on record with Oracle. Please ensure that this letter is made available to the appropriate personnel at your site. If you are not the individual within your company to whom this notice should be sent, please contact your Oracle Local Support Center(LSC).

This document is for informational purposes only, and is intended to outline Oracle's current plans regarding the migration path for customers under technical support. The information in this document is subject to change without notice at Oracle's discretion. Future releases of Oracle programs that may be part of a migration path are provided, in accordance with Oracle's current transfer policies, only to customers who are current on Technical Support.

Technical Support customers who have access to OracleMetaLink 2.0 may also find this information online at:
http://metalink.oracle.com under the Product Lifecycle section. .

Copyright (c) 1995,2000 Oracle Corporation <http://www.oracle.com/html/copyright.html> . All Rights Reserved. Legal Notices and Terms of Use. <ml2.show_legal_text>

I hope I didn't break any copyright laws here, please let me know if I did. Received on Mon Nov 06 2000 - 09:44:48 CST