RE: CLOB

From: Javier Morales <Javier_at_infojobs.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 09:51:07 +0100

LOBs can store 4 Gb at max... but I found this information with contradictions in Oracle Education guides... As I read:
Writen in a diagram:

        "LOB against RAW,LONGRAW: Many columns per table, 4Gb Max size, Select returns locator, Data stored 'in line' or 'not line', ..."

Explanation of the diagram:

        "The max size for a LONG is 2Gb, and one LOB can be up to 4Gb..." (?)

Anyway! Lobs are used as "nested extents", so, each one can be a = segment, if
it's larger than 4000bytes.

So, LOBs have two separated parts: LOB value and LOB locator. LOBs store the locator in the table, and data in diferent segments, = except
it's minor than 4000bytes. So, LOBs allow you to store data in separate segments, tablespaces OR host archive (if we are talking about = BFILE...) you have to use the DBMS_LOB package for transactions, and ...

... are you telling that (4000 characters) because of the DESCRIBE = table
sql*plus command??? :-))

 Javier Morales - javier_at_infojobs.net
 Administraci=F3n Bases de Datos Oracle - InfoJobs.net  Tel. +34 902 10 60 90 Ext. 2067
 Fax. +34 (93) 580 56 60
=20

Author: Alexander I Olefirenko
  INET: bofh_at_rbc.ru

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L Received on Mon Nov 06 2000 - 02:51:07 CST