Re: Any Powermart user out there ?

From: Ron Rogers <RROGERS_at_galottery.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2000 11:38:43 -0500

Stephane,
 Keep in mind that the deletion of records does not release the space = occupied by the growth in the table. Only truncate table will release the = space back to the initial table size.

 I think the owner of the table has to grant delete any table to the user =
before the user can truncate the table. I know it goes against the common =
rules but that is the way to truncate a table. You can delete the rows on =
a table but to be able to truncate a table you have to be able to delete = any table. Backwards at it's best.
ROR =AA=BF=AA
>>> stephane_paquette_at_YAHOO.COM 11/02/00 11:05AM >>>
Hi,

The dev team is using Powermart as the ETL tool. They are empying the working tables before each load. To do that Powermart is using a truncate instead of a delete.

That goes against my setup as the user running Powermart is not the owner of the tables but another user with select,update,delete,insert privileges. Of course that user can not do truncate table.

I have for principle that the owner of the tables is never used to run jobs.=20

Can Powermart uses delete to empty the tables ? The number of rows are quite small, less than 50 000 rows per table.

TIA =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Stephane Paquette
DBA Oracle
stephane_paquette_at_yahoo.com=20