Re: Locally managed tablespaces

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_bcbso.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 08:34:30 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, Terry Ball wrote:

> I created a locally managed tablespace (to be used for indexes). I then
> issued an alter index rebuild command specifying the new tablespace as
> the destination (without using a storage clause). The rebuild went OK,
> but when I checked the initial and next for the index (in dba_indexes
> and dba_segments) it shows it as having an initial extent the same as it
> was before the move. Looking in dba_extents, all extents associated
> with the index are the correct size.
>
> Why does dba_segments and dba_indexes show an incorrect initial extens?
> Is it necessary to specify the storage clause to see the correct initial
> extent?

Terry,

You can specify an INITIAL and NEXT extent size with LMT's. Oracle treats it differently than with a DD managed tablespace though. If you have an LMT with 128K uniform extent sizes, and you create an object with an INITIAL extent size of 512K, Oracle will record the INITIAL as 512k, and create the object with 4 extents to satisfy the 512k you asked for.

Jared Still
Certified Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist ;-) Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon
jkstill_at_bcbso.com - Work - preferred address jkstill_at_teleport.com - private Received on Thu Nov 02 2000 - 10:34:30 CST