RE: RMAN backup issue

From: Tom Tyson <tomtysonjr_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 18:14:25 -0800 (PST)

Rao

To answer your question, first let me give Oracle's definitions of consistent and incosistent:

Consistent:

A backup taken when the database is mounted (but not open) and was not crashed or shut down with the ABORT option prior to mounting. The checkpoint SCNs in the datafile headers match the header information in the control file and none of the datafiles has changes beyond its checkpoint. Consistent backups can be restored without recovery.

Inconsistent:

A backup of any part of the target database when:

* It is open.
* It crashed prior to mounting.
* It was shut down with the ABORT option prior tomounting.
An inconsistent backup requires recovery to become consistent.

Going with those definition, a full backup must be taken in mount mode, and therefore is not open for general use. This allows a consistent image of all used blocks to be backed up. On the other hand, a incremental (ie. hotbackup) only backups up the blocks that have changed since the last previous level. All incremental backups reguire at least one level 0 backup to base which blocks have changed is all other subsequent backups. And this of course is all done while the database is up, and this is considered inconsistent. The reason it is inconsistent is because changes "can" happen when a database is open and in order for that backup to be of use, you must apply archivelog files to make it "consistent".

Hope that answers your questions, most of this stuff is in the Recovery Manager's Guide on http://technet.oracle.com

Regards,
Tom Tyson